x
191 Physicians Online

Question:

Stiff neck and shoulder for about a week

I have had a stiff neck and shoulder for about a week now with the pain also in my back under my left shoulder blade also i have pain in my left calf and when i flex my ankle forwards and backwards i feel pressure in my heart area is this something i should be unduly concerned over or is just related to my stiff neck.

Answer:

The neck pain may have many causes including: muscle strain, ligaments sprains, arthritis, or a radicular compression (pinched nerve). A cervical strain may be produced by everyday life stress like inadequate postures, muscle tension maybe from psychological stress or poor sleeping habits. You may have: stiffness and tightness, the pain of course and the limitation in the movements, all these may last up to six to 8 weeks. In the majority of cases the conservative treatment is effective, meaning: anti inflammatory medication, local alternating ice and heat, massage and practice a stretching exercise routine consistently every day. If after follow these measures the pain does not improve a further evaluation is recommended to rule out other more serious possible causes of the neck pain and according to that decide the best treatment option for you.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.