x
189 Physicians Online

Question:

Stiff neck and shoulder for about a week

I have had a stiff neck and shoulder for about a week now with the pain also in my back under my left shoulder blade also i have pain in my left calf and when i flex my ankle forwards and backwards i feel pressure in my heart area is this something i should be unduly concerned over or is just related to my stiff neck.

Answer:

The neck pain may have many causes including: muscle strain, ligaments sprains, arthritis, or a radicular compression (pinched nerve). A cervical strain may be produced by everyday life stress like inadequate postures, muscle tension maybe from psychological stress or poor sleeping habits. You may have: stiffness and tightness, the pain of course and the limitation in the movements, all these may last up to six to 8 weeks. In the majority of cases the conservative treatment is effective, meaning: anti inflammatory medication, local alternating ice and heat, massage and practice a stretching exercise routine consistently every day. If after follow these measures the pain does not improve a further evaluation is recommended to rule out other more serious possible causes of the neck pain and according to that decide the best treatment option for you.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA