Still having the Back and Spine Pain

Patient

Q: I have had constant back pain since the middle of last year. It first started in the center of my lower back but has now spread up into my spine. My spine hurts now when pressure is exerted on it. It also hurts when I bend forward and backwards. I also get a lot of muscle movements in my back. They started in the center of my back on either side of my spine, now I feel them in my stomach and on the sides of my body. My muscles on both sides of my spine are tight and get really sore especially when sitting. Sometimes my back muscles feel tingly. I have had an X-ray but doctors said they couldn't see anything so they advised me to have physio. I have been having physio for 9 weeks now and my spine and it's surrounding muscles still hurt. They pain has spread to other areas of the back since I first started physio. What is wrong with my back?

Doctor

A:   In my opinion, you may need an MRI for better assessment of the condition of your spine, and it would be a better option to consult a neurosurgeon for an accurate diagnosis of your condition. It would be helpful if you could relate any injury, accidents, falls or any symptoms of infection like cough, diarrhia, fever etc. with the onset of your back and spine pain, because it may be possible that your pain could be a symptom of a disease process located at another site in the body.

In my opinion, you may need an MRI for better assessment of the condition of your spine, and it would be a better option to consult a neurosurgeon for an accurate diagnosis of your condition. It would be helpful if you could relate any injury, accidents, falls or any symptoms of infection like cough, diarrhia, fever etc. with the onset of your back and spine pain, because it may be possible that your pain could be a symptom of a disease process located at another site in the body.