Still suffering from acute prostatitis

Q: I asked you guys a question a few days ago but wasn't clear on some thing's I was treated for acute prostatitis 2 months ago this disease is the worst thing I've ever dealt with in my life imagine your penis not working urgency to urinate, erection problems, testicles shriveled and swollen, diarrhea. I want to say I feel a lil better since I took the antibiotics some of the pressure has gone down in my lower stomach, not waking up in the middle of the night to pee BUT I still don't feel like I'm all the way better still feels like I pee a lot my erection hardly works this has ruined my sex life hardly get morning erection my sperm looks watery and clumpy. Now when I talked with you guys the first time I should of been more clear I was only on the ciprofloxacin for 2 weeks you guys said at least a month of antibiotics granted I was taking 3 cipro 500 mg a day along w flomax and ibuprofen. I finished the cipro 2 months ago (also I had to chew them because I have a problem swallowing pills, could that cause them not to work?). I've also been taking saw palmetto just to see if it helps but I don't know if it is. I know you said it could take a few months but is it normal for me to still be feeling symptoms like erectile disfunction, and watery clumpy sperm, urgency to urinate. I was only on the ciprofloxacin 500mg for 2 weeks 3 a day plus I chewed them

Symptoms:  Urgency to urinate, erectile disfunction, watery clumpy sperm, diarrhea

A:   Thank you for your question

Ciprofloxacin can not be chewed. It has a special coating that helps it bypass the stomach acid and chewing would destroy this coating.

It should be taken for at least 1 month (sometimes 3) and if the tablet is a problem, it does come in liquid form.

all your symptoms are consistent with chronic prostatitis but the erectile difficulties may be an issue that has to be separately managed.

It would be hard to know if additional medications are required for erectile problems unless the prostatitis is cleared.