Stitches between toes

Q: Daughter is 13 and is a ballet dancer. She ripped skin beside her baby toe and got 4 stitches. How long before it is healed and what is the best way to care for it? She has a performance coming soon and she needs to attend rehearsals or she will lose her role she has worked her entire life for.

A:   Thank you for your question. It will usually take about 3 weeks for a sutured laceration on the foot to be healed. Depending on the severity of the laceration it may take longer and strenuous activity like dancing can actually reopen the wound. Therefore care during this recovery period must be taking to prevent this from happening. If the wound is dressed, try to change the dressing every day or two, and keep the area clean and dry. There you may choose to gently wipe the area with some dampened sterile gauze to clean the area, but be sure to promptly dry it afterwards. Also, topical antibiotic cream may also help in the healing process as well. Before the dance performance, have your daughter's foot examined by your doctor in order to make sure it is adequately healed.

Thank you for consulting