Stomach aches, swelling ankles, weight gain

Q: HI. I continually get stomach aches which vary in levels of pain from mild to severe. I have always had stomach issues (since a teenager). I noticed about 2 years ago a dramatic weight gain... it felt like over night. I have been exercising and otherwise and considerably fit. To combat the stomach pains which no Dr has been able to explain. I do get achey legs that I feel as though I just have to move them. I started noticing about a year ago my ankles swelling and things like sock marks would not vanish for a long time. I dramatically changed my diet six months ago cutting out wheat, dairy, meat and I hardly ever have alcohol... this made a dramatic difference to my stomach pains, which almost vanished. Now it seems to be set off by any sugary products so I am cutting out as much of this as possible. I also noticed if I skip a meal my stomach aches become worse. Although the diet (which I find easy to stick to) has helped considerably I am still having swelling issues and the weight although has dropped a little.. if I had dieted like this a few years ago it would have made a substantial difference. The issue is now things are changing I not only still have the swelling and the odd stomach ache but now it feels like heartburn. I do in winter have a very hard time (especially during work hours) drinking the daily intake of water and I wonder if this could be the cause of everything? The latest Dr has prescribed Nexium (which I started today) and tested and cleared me of cancer and I have had internal and external altra sounds. Although Nexium may help with the acid issue. I dont know if it will assist in anything else that was around way before this symptom started... What do you think?

A:   You may want to get your iron levels checked, since it may also give swelling. You need to consult a dietician for a healthy diet plan that may provide nutrition with less or no symptoms. Another possibility of stomach aches may be stress and anxiety. You may go for a psychotherapy or consult a psychiatrist for treatment options.