x
194 Physicians Online

Question:

Stomach acid

What is causing this

Answer:

Stomach acid occasionally, bile flows back (refluxes) into your food pipe (esophagus). The backwash of acid irritates the lining of your esophagus and causes heartburn and acid reflux.
The lower part of your esophagus relaxes abnormally or weakens, stomach acid can flow back up into your esophagus, causing frequent heartburn and disrupting your daily life. This constant backwash of acid can irritate the lining of your esophagus, causing it to become inflamed (esophagitis). Common triggers for acid reflux include fatty or fried foods, alcohol, chocolate, mint; garlic, onion and caffeine may make heartburn worse. I would suggest you to avoid these types of foods and sit for 2 hours before going to bed.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.