Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Stomach problems, digestive problems, general pain

Stomach problems, digestive problems, general pain

Patient: Hi I’m a 27 yr old male 6’2 and weigh 12.5 stone. I have stomach troubles based around the right abdomen and beneath rib cage that feels like a stitch and sometimes sharp pains or a tightness, right shoulder and back pain and frequent orange/pale bowel movements,a headache and general feeling of unwell. This has lasted for 7 days, Just wondering what a Doctor might think of it as I have a 2 week wait till my appointment.

Symptoms: I have stomach troubles based around the right abdomen and beneath rib cage that feels like a stitch and sometimes sharp pains or a tightness, right shoulder and back pain and frequent orange/pale bowel movements,a headache and general feeling of unwell. This has lasted for 7 days, Just wondering what a Doctor might think of it as I have a 2 week wait till my appointment.

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I have read your query in detail and I understand your concern.Following are the possibilities in your case:1.Irritable Bowel syndrome.2.Acid peptic Disease.You seem to be suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Constipation Predominant.You should get Thyroid Profile, Fasting Blood Sugar, Ultrasound Abdomen.If all investigations are normal, then you are probably suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome.I would advise following in such scenario:1. To take a proton pump inhibitor like Pantoprazole and Rabeprazole.2. To avoid fat, pepper in diet.4. To take Smooth Muscle Relaxant like Mebeverine for stomach pain.5. Drugs like chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide can be used, if the pain is not responding.In case you have any associated loose stools, weight loss then you would also require evaluation for Malabsorption syndrome like Celiac Disease.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy