Stop taking antibiotics?

Q: I think I jumped the gun and took an antibiotic when I really did not need it. I had a cold, turned into a cough. Also had a kink on the side of my throat. The cough and cold went away, as well as most of the kink. But I think I still may have felt a tiny little bit still in my throat. If my body was able to heal as it did, doesn't that mean I didn't need the antibiotic, even with a tiny little kink left over (I might have just been paranoid)? Background: I went to the doctor on the onset, because I have been getting sick a lot due to my daughter being sick a lot from ear infections. (She now has the tubes in her ears). He tested for strep (negative) and didn't see anything in my ears or hear anything in my chest. Told me to take the antibiotics anyways if I am not better in a few days, as I might still have an infection. I also had coxsockie a week earlier, and thought I felt the same kink in my throat right before I got it, hence that potential long duration got me a little concerned.

I normally hate taking anything. I've read conflicting ideas about stopping early. In my situation, is it ok to stop taking the anti-biotics early?