Stop the pill mid-cycle, had period(second time) and restarted a new box. Would I be protected?

Patient

Q: I had my last period which started on the 13th Dec 2011 and I started the pill on the fourth day(16th Dec 2011). I have taken the pill for 14 days then stop since my boyfriend and I broke up. 2 days later, I got my period again and the I started the pill on the fifth day of my period. (Please note that I got my period twice in the same month two weeks apart.) Would I still be protected after 7 days of taking the pill or would I be overulaing since I had stop the pill only after 14 days?

Doctor

A:   I do understand your concern. Since you've restarted on a new cycle of pill, I would advise that you use additional birth control method (condoms) till upto the last 7 days of the pill. However, from a practical stand point, it is safer to assume that full protection will not begin till one full pack is completed.