Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Stopping BC mid cylce to test for pregnancy

Stopping BC mid cylce to test for pregnancy

Patient: Can I stop taking birth control mid pack to see if I get my period to indicate whether or not I am pregnant?

Doctor: Stopping birth control mid pack will reduce the effective of the contraception. Oral contraceptive do not interfere with the pregnancy tests. The better option would be to do a home pregnancy test if you are concerned that you may be pregnant. If the test is negative, you may stop taking the pill. If you are pregnant, a normal withdrawal bleed will not occur and you may then need a blood test to confirm pregnancy. If you do not wish to become pregnant I would advise that you resume taking the pills if you are not pregnant and use back up contraception (condoms) for a week.