Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Strange scar tissue issue

Strange scar tissue issue

Patient: A year ago I tore open my finger bad in a moto cycle crash, had to have surgery and it left alot of scar tissue, now, a year later that tissue has swollen up, it looked like a pimple, eventually I poked a hole in it with a needle and a bunch of white hard stuff came out, and it seems to be that the scar tissue purged itself out of my finger cuz now it looks normal, no scaring. What happend? Is this normal?

Symptoms: N/a

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you developed an abscess in the area area of your scar. This would occu r when bacteria would get beneath the wound and proliferate producing swelling, inflammation and the production of pus. Since you ruptured this swollen area on your own and expressed the contents and it healed normally then there should not be any cause for concern here. However, it is important that if this reoccurs, that you have a doctor examine it immediately so it can be treated in a manner which will prevent further infection.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com