Strange visual and auditory hallucination, couldn't move

Q: Last night when I was laying in bed I saw flashing blue flashing lights, I remember just thinking it was the police. I tried to get up and go look out the window but I couldn't move. I could only lay there. Then I heard my door knob move. My door was locked so obviously nobody could get in. I started freaking out, I realized I still couldn't move I could just see and hear what was around me. At this point I heard a low growl and then it was at my shoulder...right by my ear, snarling. I still couldnt move. I tried to move my legs, i tried to scream. Once I was able to move I realized nothing was going on, everything went back to normal. The blue lights were actually my smoke detectors green light blinking and none of the things I heard or saw were real. Am I going crazy?

Symptoms:  Seeing things that weren't happening, hearing things that weren't happening, inability to move

Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
What you experienced was a sleep paralysis attack. No need to worry as the hallucinations and the experience that you have had doesn't mean that you are having psychosis. If it's an isolated event, nothing much has to be done. These episodes are triggered by stress and if you sleep inadequately. Make sure you have a good sleep and mostly the event will not recur.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!