Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Streaks on back of the Legs

Streaks on back of the Legs

Patient: I just noticed last night that I have many vertical redish purple raised lines on the back of both of my legs just under my buttocks (between 10 and 20 short streaks on each leg). I am 18 years old, weigh 170 and am 5’9″. I have been working out every day and eating very healthfully the past week and I generally don’t eat super unhealthfully other times. What could these vein-like lines be, how do I get rid of them, and should I be concerned?

Doctor: From the picture that you have given us this seems like or striae or a which is however painfull and is the imflamatio n of the superficial veins. It is very difficult for me to specify acurately what this might be but i would advice to keep a check on it and in case it persits kindly contact your family physician for a complete and thorough examination.