Strep and gums

Q: On Wednesday night, i was diagnosed with Strep Throat in the Emergency Room, after several hours of waiting, testing, and explaining symptoms. my symptoms were: an everincreasing fever which is what drove me to the ER entire body sore, chills, headache, earaches, and i also mentioned that my gums were swollen and extremely sore. At the end of it, testtscame back positive for Strep and i was given the option to take a one-time shot of Penicillin, or to take it in pillform over 10 days. i opted for the shot, which was said to take effect in about 3 days. they seemed unconcerned, and didn't even look at my gums, nor did they mention them in the diagnostic paperwork i was sent home with. i'm steadily getting better, although my gums are still as swollen and sore, and they look terrible infectedlike and i'm also starting to get a cold sore on my lip.

i'm wondering if Strep Throat and the 'gum situation' are connected, if so, will the penicillin shot also take care of this in tandem with the Strep bacterium, if not, what the hell is going on,and lastly, what else can i do about it?

Thanks so much.