Strep B and antibiotics

Patient

Q: Hello, I am a generally healthy, 18 year old male. I was recently at the doctor and got a rapid strep test done. The test came back negative but I was prescribed amoxicillin and my test was sent to the lab. Two days later, I returned to the doctor because my condition had gotten worse and the antibiotics did not seem to be doing anything. I was then tested for mono, which came back as positive. On the same day, my lab results from the strep test came back saying that I was positive for strep B and not strep A. I was then told that most of my symptoms including my extremely swollen tonsils were a result of the mono which to me says that the antibiotics are no longer really necessary, they do not seem to be doing me any good anyway. Also, that day i was prescribed dexamethasone; just one dose and a second if it was really necessary. So my main question is do I need to continue antibiotics and what is strep B doing to me?

Symptoms:  Symptoms: Sore Throat, Swollen Tonsils, Fatigue, Congestion, Fever, Difficulty swallowing
Doctor