Strep throat and given amoxicillin right away. How long to cure?

Patient

Q: I went to a walk in clinic on Thursday, was diagnosed with Strep throat and started amoxicillin right away (500mg 3 times daily for 10 days). And I am also taking ibuprofin for fever like symptoms as necessary.
Today my fever symptoms seem to have improved but my throat is unchanged - it is still red, very swollen, and has pussy/white bits on my tonsils.
How soon after starting antibiotics are the throat discomforts suppose to go away? Thanks, Jen

Symptoms:  swollen tonsils, hurts to swallow, red/inflammed/pussy tonsils,
some fever symptoms still occasionally, but not as bad as prior to diagnosis.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. You are currently on the 6th day of a 10 day course of antibiotics and you should be experiencing relief of your symptoms within a few days. Antibiotics continue to act the bacteria causing your strep throat even after completing your course. For more symptomatic relief try using some sore throat lozenges or gargling with warm salt water. This should help. If your symptoms seem to be getting worse, please consult your physician for a thorough examination.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com