Ask The Doctor > Pending > Strep throat and pregnancy complications

Strep throat and pregnancy complications

Patient: I have a question regarding strep throat treatment and complications for pregnant woman because of the antibiotic treatments. My wife recently was diagnosed with late stage strep throat and went into surgery to get all the puss removed from her tonsils and throat area. She will be going in for a 5 day treatment of antibiotics via injection and she is currently 2 months pregnant. The doctors showed concern that because of the antibiotic treatment the fetus will be at a high chance of being born with some form of deformity or mental problems. They have suggested we get an abortion. Any suggestions or advice? Should we go ahead with the abortion?

Doctor: