x
Browse
170 Physicians Online

Question:

Strep Throat and Swollen Gums and Mouth Sores

Recently I got a case of strep throat, The strange thing is that my gums are swollen and i have sores all over my tongue, roof of my mouth, inside of my lip and sides of my mouth.. Is this part of the strep?

Answer:

This is not part of the natural course of Strep Throat but may be related.
The situation you are describing is consistent with a viral or bacterial infection of the gums.  Only an examination of the gums by a doctor or dentist will allow you to determine what type of infection it is and how to treat it as bacterial and viral infections are treated very differently.
It is likely that this infection was able to evade your natural immune defences as they may have been busy fighting the Strep infection if they occurred within the same time frame.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA