Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Strep throat: rash?

Strep throat: rash?

Patient: I am being treated for strep throat with Penicillin since last Thursday and am feeling much much better. But yesterday after going outside for a little bit I found a rash on my neck and it is still there today. Could it be related to my strep throat or is it caused by something else?

Symptoms: rash, itchy skin

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is difficult to determine what the cause of your rash may be without actually examining the area but we will try to offer you some possibilities. The first is perhaps that your rash is due to sun over exposure. Secondly, in cases of streptococcal throat infections a rough sand paper like rash can develop on the neck and torso. This is what is known as scarlet fever, which requires further antibiotic treatment. We recommend that you have the area examined by your doctor to rule out any serious illnesses.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com