Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Strep throat re occurance and treatment options

Strep throat re occurance and treatment options

Patient: I had a positve throat test and was treated for strep 14 days ago. I had very large white patches on both of my tounsils and on the back of my throat. I took a 5 day z pack. My right tounsil is still swollen with a few red streaks through it and I have four small patches (that are aligned in a quadrant shape) that are a very faint white, in the back of my throat. I was wondering if my tounsils are just still healing or if the strep is coming back or possibly present? The only symptoms I had when I was treated was swollen lymph nodes in my neck and under my chin, that has subsided. I dont have insurance so I can not go to an ENT doctor. Should I return to the care clinic to be tested again or wait it out? Thank you!

Doctor: Group A streptococcal (GAS) tonsillopharyngitis presents with abrupt onset of sore throat, tonsillar exudate, tender cer vical adenopathy, and fever, followed by spontaneous resolution within two to five days. The goal of antibiotics in the treatment of strep throat is to reduce the duration and severity of the symptoms, reduce transmission of disease to close contacts and also the incidence of complications such as rheumatic fever. Usually five days of treatment is sufficient in the treatment of strep throat. However, if your symptoms have not subsided, I would suggest that you retest for strep infection. the antibiotics may be continue for 10-14 days if infection is still present.