Strep Throat twice in a month

Q: Hi, this is the second time I have gotten strep throat in less than a month. About 3 weeks ago I developed white patched on my tonsils. I went to the walk in clinic, the doctor prescribed antibiotics. I felt better after a couple days. A few days ago I started to feel chest pains and a sore throat. Yesterday I developed white spots on my tonsils again. Is it normal to develop these white spots, sore throat and chest pain so soon after I have taken antibiotics. A

Symptoms:  Sore throat, white spots on tonsils, swollen tonsils, chest pains, fatigue
Strep Throat twice in a month-1

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that the first time you were treated for streptococcal pharyngitis (strep throat) the bacteria causing this infection were not adequately cleared by the course of antibiotics that you were prescribed. Hence, after a short relief of your symptoms, the streptococcal bacteria repopulated your throat leading recurrence of this infection. It is likely that you will need to return to your doctor to have your throat reevaluated and started on a second course of antibiotics. You may require a longer course and stronger dosage to adequately treat this recurrent infection. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting