Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Stress fracture from Running

Stress fracture from Running

Patient: How do i know if i have a stress fracture? the front lower part of my shin hurts, especially when i jump. it doesnt hurt much when i walk, only occasionally. it does hurt after i run though i have stopped running for the past couple of days because i am worried i have a stress fracture. how can i know if i do have a stress fracture? is there any way i can speed up the healing process?

Doctor: For those who run a lot, stress fractures are more common on the bones of the foot, not on the leg. Try putting some ice on the area to help with the pain. Yours could be some other cause like a ligament or muscle strain. Immobilize the area if possible (ankle support) and don’t run because it will only worsen the condition. I still suggest see a doctor so xrays may be done, just to be sure fractures can be ruled out. From there, it cna be decided when you can run again. I hope this helps.