Stress fracture on the shin?

Q: I think i may have a stress fracture in my shin. how do i know? i run cross country and track, but the pain in my shin was sudden. ive never had problems there before. its on the lower part of my shin, in the front. do i need a boot? is it even a stress fracture? when will it go away?

A:   For those who run a lot, stress fractures are more common on the bones of the foot, not on the leg. Try putting some ice on the area to help with the pain. Yours could be some other cause like a ligament or muscle strain. Immobilize the area if possible (ankle support) and don't run because it will only worsen the condition. I still suggest see a doctor so xrays may be done, just to be sure fractures can be ruled out. I hope this helps.