Stressed out for the risks of STD

Patient

Q: HI I recently had unprotected sex with someone that may have an STI. I have booked to get a test done but I'm just wondering It's only been three days so if I did catch anything would it show up on my tests so soon?

Doctor

A:   It is unlikely for the test to show positive results (if any infection present) within 5 to 7 days of exposure, as any STD infection may require certain incubation period to sustain itself in the new host and to produce symptoms. However you must go for the test as early as possible to catch any positive result at the earliest and receive treatment.