Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Stretches or exercises for back pain

Stretches or exercises for back pain

Patient: I’ve been having some back pain and would like to learn stretches or exercises that might help alleviate some of it. Any suggestions?

Symptoms: Aching back, soreness, stiffness

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Usually, back pain can occur due to an injury in the back or due to tight muscles. There are a few things that you can try to help you.First, I would recommend that you start on RICE. RICE is a treatment for soft tissue injury.R – rest the back and avoid any back exercises or too much strainI – ice the back for 15 mins every hour several times a dayC – compress the back by using massage or with a back braceE – elevate your back by sleeping on your front to allow blood to flow back to the heart and reduce the swellingAlong with this. I recommend that you stretch your lower back and your hamstrings. You can find the stretches on this link. http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Lower-Back-Stretch-SafelyA combination of both stretching and RICE will allow you to recover quickly.Please try this for 2 weeks and see how it works for you.All the best.