Stretches or exercises for back pain

Patient: I’ve been having some back pain and would like to learn stretches or exercises that might help alleviate some of it. Any suggestions?

Symptoms: Aching back, soreness, stiffness

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Usually, back pain can occur due to an injury in the back or due to tight muscles. There are a few things that you can try to help you.First, I would recommend that you start on RICE. RICE is a treatment for soft tissue injury.R – rest the back and avoid any back exercises or too much strainI – ice the back for 15 mins every hour several times a dayC – compress the back by using massage or with a back braceE – elevate your back by sleeping on your front to allow blood to flow back to the heart and reduce the swellingAlong with this. I recommend that you stretch your lower back and your hamstrings. You can find the stretches on this link. combination of both stretching and RICE will allow you to recover quickly.Please try this for 2 weeks and see how it works for you.All the best.

View all posts