Stroke, Factor V Leiden and Anaphylaxis...help needed!!!

Patient

Q: I am asking on behalf of my father who is 54 and healthy.

He was diagnosed last year with Factor V Leiden after being admitted to hospital for and clot in his leg and numerous clots in his lungs.

Since having the DVT's he was prescribed warfarin and until now everything has been ok.

Just before christmas he suffered what I would regard as an anaphylactic attack. It wasn't overly serious but one side of his face and neck had inflamed enough to cause concern. He didn't do anything about it. A few weeks later he had another episode of this and then after yet another one, he visited his GP who provided him with an epipen if it occurred again and advised him to call an ambulance asap when it happened.

He was out paving the rear garden a week or two later and his mouth began to go numb and his vision and speech started to go slurred and blurry. He was taken into hospital where, although he has no lasting effects, they diagnosed it as a full blown stroke...not a TIA.

His artery on the left side of his neck was 90% blocked and they have since performed surgery to unblock it. The scan revealed slight damage in his brain although this isn't apparent as he hasn't lost any functions.

He had an anaphylactic attack in hospital when first taken in and also when re-admitted for the operation. Since being released he has also
had an attack at home in the last few days.

He is concerned that the Anaphylaxis, Factor V Leiden and Stroke are all linked but it is proving difficult to find much information on this particular situation?

He is worried that the inflammation caused by the anaphylaxis may have damaged the artery causing a clot to travel up to the brain?

We have no idea what is causing the anaphylaxis as he has no known allergies and has never experienced this before.

The doctors have taken blood samples and are running tests but they don't seem to be able to figure it out!

Any help, advice or opinions would be greatly received!

Doctor