Sudden breathing trouble.

Q: Hi, I'm 20 year old female and for almost a week now I've had trouble breathing. I feel like my lungs are not filling up enough and I keep having to take very deep breaths just to get enough air. It also feel like my throat and and chest are being constricted. It doesn't get any better with rest, laying down actually seems to make it worse. I went to the doctor 5 days ago and he said I had asthma, and prescribed me Advair. I don't have a history of asthma, the doctor didn't run any tests on me and I'm starting to think he was wrong because I've been taking Advair twice daily since 5 days ago and there has been no change in my breathing and I'm now developing a cough.

Symptoms:  Trouble breathing, constricted throat and chest, cough

A:   Thanks for consulting us. Diagnostic symptoms of Asthma are, episodic symptoms of airflow obstruction are present, airflow obstruction or symptoms are at least partially reversible, exclusion of alternative diagnoses. Spirometry with postbronchodilator response should be obtained as the primary test to establish the asthma diagnosis. Family history may be pertinent for asthma, allergy, sinusitis, rhinitis, eczema, and nasal polyps. Characteristic symptoms of Asthma are, Wheezing, a musical, high-pitched, whistling sound produced by airflow turbulence, is one of the most common symptoms. In the mildest form, wheezing is only end expiratory. If you have symptoms fittings in this, your need further workup and treatment as per that. Have a nice day.