Sudden Excessive Sweating

Patient

Q: Hi there,

I require some advise on a sweating issue that has been concerning me for almost a year.

Since April 2013 (age 26) I have been unable to stop my underarms and upper back from sweating. This is without any physical activity or movement. The change happened without any noticeable build-up (changed in one day), however it seems to have gotten worse since it first occurred. Anxious situations are guaranteed to make my symptoms worse, but calm situations also bring on sweating. I do not sweat during the night.

During my teens and until I was 23, I did not sweat a large amount. I remember I was typically cold, and did not overheat even when exercising. I traveled extensively in South East Asian countries and did not have any issues with sweating, even while working outside. During 2010 (age 23), I suddenly began to sweat profusely when exercising and sometimes while eating. (not spicy foods) There was also no build-up to this condition, however I blamed it on recently starting Finasteride. The symptoms did not change once I ceased taking the medication. This was manageable and not a large concern to me, although I did seek medical advice in case there was something serious. Nothing was found.

Since 2010, my sweating was maintained at a manageable level until April 2013 when it suddenly and greatly worsened. I have regularly seen a GP and tests have not shown anything wrong. I have tried various forms of antiperspirants (with 15% Aluminium Chloride), Propranolol HCL 40mg, and Oxybutynin Chloride Ta 5mg. Both medications seemed to work for a week before my sweating returned. I have always been very fit, and obesity is not an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The sweating has very much reduced my standard of life since it manifested itself, and I am desperate to seek a permanent solution to this problem.

Doctor