x
200 Physicians Online

Question:

Sudden Hip pain radiated to the knee: Trochanteric Bursitis

I am 30years male. One day morning at the time of wake up from bed I feel sharp pain at right side lower hip. The pain is radiates up to knee. The pain is very sharp with burning sensation. It is very constant pain spread down to knee. The clinking sound at knee when I walk.

I have met MD he has taken ultrasound scan, blood test urinal test and ECG and chest x-ray in all report its shows normal but the pain is not cured.

After that I met M.S ortho he taken knee x-ray and given me an injection at knee place and given me glucosamine tablets and pain relief medicines.

After two month the constant pain is cure, but now I have no seating comfort and numbness in right knee when I am walk I feel pin pain at my right hip to back at the time of prolong sitting and wake up at morning and at the time of walking especially at knee front even I am in rest.

Please let me know the cause of sudden pain and give me best suggestion to get back my healthy life.

Answer:

According to your description, this case might be a Hip Bursitis (Trochanteric Bursitis) Trochanteric bursitis is characterized by painful inflammation of the bursa located just superficial to the greater trochanter of the femur. Patients typically complain of lateral hip pain, although the hip joint itself is not involved. The pain may radiate down the lateral aspect of the thigh to the knee. More commonly, repetitive (cumulative) trauma is involved. Such trauma is caused by the repetitive contracture of the gluteus medius during running or walking. Conditions that predispose patients to trochanteric bursitis include underlying lower leg gait and back or sacroiliac disturbances. But at times, the bursitis develops spontaneously without apparent precipitating factors; this seems to be your case.The conservative treatment as follows: immobilization and ice during the early phase and moist heat during the long-term phase. Use of anti inflammatory medication NSAIDs (aleve, motrin) can help to ease pain and swelling. If your bursitis is not helped by NSAIDs, your doctor may choose to inject steroids into the surrounding area of inflammation. You should begin graduated range-of-motion exercise once your symptoms begin to improve. As a rule, you should not have more than 3 injections into the same area within a 12-month period. Alternative treatments include pain-killing creams, capsaicin cream (an over-the-counter pain relief cream made from an ingredient of cayenne pepper), and steroid medications if you are able to take them.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA