Sudden Onset Persistent Stomach Discomfort Extreme Wt Loss

Patient

Q: In April 2014 I woke up very sick to my stomach and had vomiting followed by about 6 hours of dry-heaving. I went to an Urgent Care where they did blood work and found my white blood cell count to be elevated around 18,000. I was given IV fluids for hydration, nausea medicine and antibiotics. Since this incident I have been experiencing some form of stomach discomfort daily.

I made an appointment with a doctor who originally thought my gallbladder was the culprit; however, after a normal ultra sound and HIDA scan, it was determined my gallbladder, liver and kidneys are fine. My blood was also checked again and my WBC was in the normal range. By this point, I had lost around 10lbs and this was approximately 6-8 weeks after onset of my symptoms. My doctor told me he thinks this is all due to stress and that my symptoms are more common than most people would think.

I have certainly had periods in my past that were very stressful , but currently I would say my stress level is below average for me and has been for about 3.5 years now. Stress seemed such an unlikely cause, but I'm not a doctor so I have taken precautions to 'de-stress', such as weekly therapy sessions and the addition of an anxiety medication (which I haven't found to do anything really).

I have had to make many lifestyle changes due to my not feeling well yet the weight loss has continued. I am a 29 year old female, 5'7" tall and started out at 170lbs and now weigh 134lbs. I have found I am better able to keep food down, or at least avoid feeling very nauseous, if I wait to eat all my food spread out over the evening. If I eat earlier in the day, then I usually feel very unwell the rest of the day.

Does this seem like stress? Should I be doing something more?

Symptoms:  Rapid weight loss, nausea, vomiting (at first, almost daily - but now about once every 3 weeks), dry heaving (about one or two times/week), fatigue
Doctor