Sudden pain in knee cap area not getting better.

Q: About 2 weeks ago I was walking and felt an odd sensation in my right knee cap. It felt like it was more on my knee cap then under it. It wasn't very painful at the time. When I got home I sat for a while and when I stood up was in pain. I ended up doing the whole RICE thing and when I woke up the next day could hardly walk on it and noticed a small bruise on my knee. There was no visible swelling and the ice seemed to help and I was able to walk on it with very little pain for the rest of the day. I continued to ice and rest. However, each time I went up the stairs I felt a popping sensation. There was no pain with the popping. About a week later, after continuing to rest it as much as possible and it feeling somewhat better, I was feeling the area and it felt as if there were 2 swollen tendons right above my knee cap where the thigh begins that were not felt before. I am guessing they are tendons anyway. I have been waking up in the middle of the night in extreme pain and I am guessing it is the position I am sleeping in. After being up for a while and walking, the pain was going away and felt fine for the rest of the day. It seemed to be feeling a lot better so yesterday I walked for about a half hour with no pain at all but again woke up in the middle of the night in extreme pain and now it hurts to walk on it again. The pain seems to be worse on the top left part of my right knee. There is no pain with palpitation, bruising is gone and again, there is no visible signs of swelling. I am a 35 year old female about 15 pounds overweight with no previous knee or leg injury.

I guess I am trying to figure out what could be going on and if there is anything else I can do on my own or if it sounds like something severe that may need a doctor's attention. I currently do not have any health insurance and know that along with doctor visit fees, an x-ray of some sort and treatment it will be very pricey and I can't afford it at this time.

I would appreciate any reply with a possible feedback. Thank you in advance.