Sudden sharp pain behind the knee for no appartent reason

Patient

Q: Hello, I am a 51 year old female. Last night while at work, I was sitting on the floor stocking a shelf. I was only sitting for approx. 10 min. When I stood up, I got a sharp pain in the back of my left knee, and was unable to put any weight on my left leg, unless I walked on my toes. As soon as I put my heal down the sharp pain happened again. This happened one other time, but only lasted about a half hour. If I remember correctly, at that time, it cracked, and the pain went away. However, it has been over 24 hours now, and I still can't put any weight on my left leg. While sitting however , I am able to straighten the leg and flex my foot in both directions without any discomfort. I can also straighten my leg without pain while standing, as long as the weight is on my right leg. I should mention that I "suspect" I have arthritis in my right knee (I come from a family of bad knees) That knee has been constantly sore for months now. I assume that because of that, I was using my left leg more because of pain. Could I have damaged my left knee due to the extra use, or could it be arthritis starting in my left knee as well ? Also , this morning while still in bed, I noticed that my left leg, was quite a bit colder than the right.
I've been using an ice pack off and on since 11:00 pm last night, but it doesn't seem to be helping ? Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you , Kathleen

Doctor