Sudden sunken cheek, one side of face.

Q: My the cheekbone on the left side of my face has suddenly turned gaunt, with a hollow indentation. This has happened in the last 10 days, and only on one side of my face. At first I thought it was a smudge, but soon realized it was getting more pronounced. What could it be?

A:   Thank you for your question. If you have recently lost weight it is possible that this could have become noticeably visible on one side of your face. This could account for this disproportionate sunken appearance of one of your cheeks. Besides this sinking appearance, you have not described any other associated symptoms which could be related to another illness so we recommend that you follow up with your doctor for an in person examination and evaluation of this.

Thank you for consulting with your medical question.