Sudden, uncontrollable urination after a race

Q: I am a 23 year old female with no history of issues with incontinence. The other day, I was participating in a 3.5-mile race. At the end of the race, I suddenly experienced uncontrollable urination, which was not a full emptying of the bladder but it was a lot more than a trickle. I had felt no urge to go and wasn't even aware of what was happening at first. Afterwards, for the remainder of the evening, I felt an uncomfortable pressure in my lower abdomen, but no pain. I'm wondering what could have caused the experience, and if this is possibly a symptom of something that I should see a doctor about.

A:   This may occur if you have not emptied your bladder for long, a condition called overflow incontinence. It may be due to anxiety, stress etc. However if you didn’t feel an urge or fullness of the bladder until the happening of this episode, you may want to see your doctor for consultation and further investigation of the underlying cause.