Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Suddenly cannot receive / hold erection.

Suddenly cannot receive / hold erection.

Patient: Im 15, me and my girl friend have been having sex 3-4 times a week for the past few months, i still find her VERY attractive, and am very comefortable around her so i know it is not her, now all of the sudden i cannot get a erection, and whenever i do get the smallest one, it hardly lasts and makes it nearly impossible to have sex. (please do not judge this question based off my age) i have not been receiving erections throughout the day either. I do not know what is wrong with me.

Symptoms: Cannot receive / hold erection, cannot have intercourse

Doctor: Thank you for your question. There could be a number of causes for your inability to have or maintain an erection. There could be some organic causes which could need to be ruled out by physical examination by your doctor. If there are no medical causes for your erectile dysfunction such as decreased circulation, or acute infections. If these are ruled out, it is possible that you may be suffering from anxiety which is causing your erectile dysfunction. To treat this, you will need to address this issue with your physician to determine what is exactly causing your anxiety. Furthermore, a really helpful way of overcoming this could be to speak to your girlfriend about how you are feeling. This will help her support you as you overcome this anxiety. Please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com