Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Suddenly got period back, have an eating disorder

Suddenly got period back, have an eating disorder

Patient: Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but trying to find answers online was not very useful. I’ve had an eating disorder for about 2 years now, and with this I ended up losing my period, I havent had it in over a year, something that I do not mind. Just now I suddenly got it back, and I haven’t gained any weight, in fact I just saw that I’ve lost some. I’m around 5’4 1/2″ and 90 pounds if thats helpful at all. why would I have suddenly got it back?

Symptoms: Period??

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Eating disorders can lead to weight changes which by causing hormonal imbalance can affect menstrual cycles.Possibly your pituitary ovarian axis might have accomplished to this weight and hormonal levels now, which might have led to menstrual period.According to your height, your weight should be around 61kgs or 134 pounds.By making dietary adjustments according to this, possibly your cycles can regularize.Take care.