Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Sugar level goes up few hours after taking the diabetes medication

Sugar level goes up few hours after taking the diabetes medication

Patient: I’m a diabetic 2 and take medication in the morning and evening,if after taking medication (4 hrs later) my sugar goes up what can I do to bring it down again? may I take more medicine or is there something I can eat or drink?this does not happen often so I do not want to increase the strengh of the medication.

Doctor: The food that you eat also plays a part in helping to lower blood sugar levels. Low-glycemic foods that are digested mor e slowly by the body are a better option.You may keep a record of your sugar levels and try to note the types of food in your diet of that particular meal, that increased your sugars. You may then make necessary diet changes to control your sugars or may consider changes in your medications and its dosage schedule for better control.