Supplements while pregnant

Patient

Q: Iam 6 weeks pregnant. I am taking Centrum Pregnancy Care which has 5mcg of vitamin D in it. Do I need to take a separate supplement of VItamin D3? Hope you can help.

Symptoms:  none
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
It is always better to take vitamin D3 supplement also along with your prenatal vitamin tablet which generally has limited dose of vitamin D. It is always better to take this Vit D3 supplement as it helps in gestating the baby to term, checks pre-eclampsia (developing blood pressure during the pregnancy), regulates gestational diabetics etc. It is good for the developing baby also. Probably you can start this supplement of vitamin D3 a month later.
Hope that answers your query. Wish you, good luck for your pregnancy.