Surgery for bone plates in ankle to be removed

Q: Hello. I have two plates and sixteen screws in my left ankle that have been in place for over a year and are now starting to give me some trouble. I am getting pain, swelling and redness in the area and even the slightest impact to my skin over the plate will cause it to bleed and heal very slowly. Unfortunately I do not have insurance as I fall in the income bracket where I do not qualify for discounts nor can I afford $650.00 per month insurance premiums.. let alone the $1,200.00 deductible. I do not have a regular doctor in my current location and am not sure what to do. Does a surgery have to be done under total anesthesia which will cost tens of thousands of dollars or is there a way to have it done with a local? At this point I would be willing to bite down on a stick and have a friend take them out with a razor and a screw gun.

Symptoms:  Pain (severe), swelling, redness and skin very easy to tear or damage.