Surgery in Pregnancy

Patient

Q: I just recently had a breast augmenation. And found out afterwards that I was pregnant but due to certain circumstances, I will be terminating the pregnancy. What were the risk of this surgery to my pregnancy?

Doctor

A:   The risks to the fetus are related to the drugs used in the anesthesia process and are actually quite low. Perhaps the most frequent and devastating pregancy complication that occurs during surgery is preterm labour or miscarriage leading to pregnancy loss.Though a distinct possibility, it is not a common occurrence .