Surgery or any other conservative tx options

Q: Right knee gives out at random and have experienced falls.
Used to be able to do cardio but unable to do elliptical. Stopped squats & leg press. Too painful to do jumping jacks or run d/t the pounding. Had several knee injuries while in service. Unable to put any weight on knees (painful to kneel on memory foam bed. Have Dx: patellar maltracking. Have had knee injections w/no success and have done PT twice w/no success. Also have issues w/tendons behind knees, when I do leg curls its painful snapping if I use light or heavy weight and feels like rubber band pulling to the point of snapping and stretching exercises and RICE have not made difference with back of knee issues.

I'm thinking I may need to have a lateral release done on the knees and have the inside get cleaned up. Not sure what can be done for the tendon issue on the back of the leg directly behind the knee.

Please advise.

Symptoms:  Pain in knees, burning in quadriceps, R knee buckles and gives out, unable to run or use cardio machines, tendon behind knee snaps when doing leg curls. Unable to squat, throbbing in all areas of b/l knees. Pain & weakness in quads & VMO