SURGERY OR NOT

Patient

Q: I have a SLAP tear in my right shoulder,1 day its very painful,then it goes away..do I need to repair it,what if I dont.will I need surgery ? how long is the recovery will I recover 100% ?

Doctor

A:   Most SLAP tears respond to conservative treatment, that is, rest and pain medications. Those injuries which do not respond to such treatment require surgery to correct the problem. YOu should have a trail of conservative treatment before going on to surgery. If you do surgery recovery may take about 6 weeks to recover from surgery and then a nother 6 weeks of physical therapy.