Surgery recovery

Patient

Q: My 28 year old friend had surgery to remove a tumour on her ovary June 22,2010. The doctor made a c-section cut. He told her she has numerous stiches all inside as it was on the upper part of her ovary. She is intending on participating in a seadoo race on August 15, 2010. Is this really such a good idea for her?

Doctor

A:   Your friend has had major abdominal surgery. It usually takes about 6-8 weeks to recover from a procedure of that nature. It should not adversely affect her health if she competed in a seadoo race. However, she should get the "all clear" from her surgeon before doing so.