Suspected meniscus and ligament injury waiting for MRI

Patient

Q: I have a suspectedlateral meniscus tear and possible lateral collateral ligament damage, should i be using crutches whilst waiting on mri and follow up?

Doctor

A:    I recommend you do not bear weight in that leg until the extent of the suspected injury is determined, meaning: wait for the MRI and depending on the injury your doctor will decide the type of treatment (conservative or surgical) that will be used in your case. Meniscal injuries are a common problem in sports and in young active individuals; they are the most frequent injury to the knee joint. The menisci are C -shaped fibrocartilaginous structures attached to the tibia and their main functions to enhance the contact between the two articular surfaces of the knee: femur and tibia ones. Sometimes these injuries are associated with ACL or collateral ligaments tears. If the meniscal lesion is mild and the ligament tear is partial, conservative treatment can be used. Spontaneous healing is common because of the rich blood supply in the meniscal periphery. Successful recovery from a meniscal tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. But in more severe cases (complete torn meniscus and/or ligaments) the arthroscopic repair surgery must be considered.