Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Swallowed Metal Ball

Swallowed Metal Ball

Patient: My daughter swallowed a small metal ball four days ago. She is acting fine, eating fine and having regular bowel movements. I am not sure if she passed it or not. I have tried checking but missed a couple of times. Should I still get an xray or assume that it has passed?

 

 

Doctor: It sounds like your daughter is doing well despite having swallowed the ball. You should get an xray done to allay your fears and make certain that the ball has passed. Since it is metal it will easily show up on an xray. The most important thing is make sure the ball has not ended up in the lungs. If it is in still in the intestines there is no need to become concerned as the vast majority of these are passed out in the feces.

 


 

 
Ask The Doctor
    Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment