Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Swallowing chewable birth control instead of chewing.

Swallowing chewable birth control instead of chewing.

Patient: I recently started taking Generes Fe chewable birth control. I didn’t realize at first that it was chewable and have been just swallowing with water. Is it a big deal that I haven’t been chewing it up?

Doctor: Generess Fe is a low-dose birth control pill that contains 2 types of female hormones, an estrogen called ethinyl estrad diol and a progestin called norethindrone. You do not need to be concerned if you have been swallowing the pills. The pills can be either chewed or swallowed with/without water at the same time every day.