Swallowing coins

Patient

Q: I was intoxicated last night and due to loosing a bet I swallowed an aus dollar coin how long will it take to pass through my body?

Doctor

A:   I suggest you not to repeat such practices in the future.

The Oesophagus (food pipe ) is the narrowest part in the gastrointestinal tract, once it passes through this, it will take less than 4-5 days, often with in 2 days to get excreted.

You are advised to take a lot of fluids and soft diet. If you develop symptoms of fever or pain, you should present to the emergency department.If you develop symptoms of fever or pain, you should present to the emergency department. If no fever or pain develops, then you simply have to wait to allow it to pass. Until it passes, you should avoid contact with any strong magnetic materials as they may cause injury when ingesting magnetic objects.

Related Q&A

Q: Can a poorly performed lumbar puncture cause permanent paralysis? My father has recently undergone several lumbar pun...

Q: Does the morning after pill still work during ovulation? I had sex yesterday and the condom broke, I took ellaone 30 ...

Q: Hi, my 4 year old son had a fever for 2 days, then developed a sandpaper like texture on the tummy and chest. Now ski...

Q: I have a cold I've been to the doctor and I'm on OTC and a Z pack and he also said to buy Affrin because I was oppose...

Q: (Barium Swallow and Achasia Cardia) Name of patient: Radhika Sivapuram Age: 30years Gender: Female Date of Birth:...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews