Swallowing Polyacrylamide Gel

Patient

Q: I was using polyacrylamide gel for water retainment in a hanging basket, and a little (max. 10 tiny crystals) and don't think this small amount is a problem, but please could you tell me what problems I may experience (I know it's a carcinogen and a neurotoxin, but is it a serious one? Do you think these quantities could cause problems?)

Symptoms:  Slight dryness in throatat first, nothing else at the moment
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Long term exposure to polyacrylamide can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer. Your exposure however should not be a cause for concern. This was an isolated incident, and a very small quantity was ingested. This should not be a cause for concern.
We do not recommend that you induce vomiting as a means to get rid of this ingested substance. We do recommend that you follow up with your doctor should you develop any abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or a general feeling of fatigue.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com

Related Q&A

Q: What is actually tested in an autopsy when toxicology tests are done?

Q: Good Evening, I am a 31 year old male, height 72.5 inches, weight 179lbs (BMI 24.3), and I was recently, June 13t...

Q: Large moveable lump on the fatty part of my daughter's back.

Q: I have a feeling like a long piece of hair is on my left side skin but there is nothing there. If you hold the area i...

Q: My daughter died on June 17 of this year after a fight with 2 girls and had an asthma attack her autopsy stated she d...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews