Swallowing Polyacrylamide Gel

Patient

Q: I was using polyacrylamide gel for water retainment in a hanging basket, and a little (max. 10 tiny crystals) and don't think this small amount is a problem, but please could you tell me what problems I may experience (I know it's a carcinogen and a neurotoxin, but is it a serious one? Do you think these quantities could cause problems?)

Symptoms:  Slight dryness in throatat first, nothing else at the moment
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Long term exposure to polyacrylamide can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer. Your exposure however should not be a cause for concern. This was an isolated incident, and a very small quantity was ingested. This should not be a cause for concern.
We do not recommend that you induce vomiting as a means to get rid of this ingested substance. We do recommend that you follow up with your doctor should you develop any abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or a general feeling of fatigue.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com