Sweating an awful lot at night

Patient: Hi I am sweating an awful lot at night and I don’t know why it’s only my torso and legs I don’t feel sick and my room is not hot but I did notice I got drunk one night and slep through the night no sweat but I’m not an alcoholic I don’t even get shakes

Symptoms: Sweating

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.Excessive sweating can be due to many different caus es. Among them, hyperthyroidism is a common cause and hence thyroid levels need to be evaluated. Occasionally, even anxiety disorders can cause excessive sweating. The fact that after taking alcohol your sweating got further reduced also suggests that the sweating could be due to anxiety. It occurs due to the imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain like serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as paroxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months.Do meet your Doctor and discuss these options.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health.

View all posts