Sweet taste in mouth after seeming to get better

Patient

Q: I am pretty much allergic to everything. A couple days ago, I had severe chest congestion, terrible sinus congestion, ear aches, fatigue, and a raw throat. I woke up this morning feeling noticeably better, only left with mild nasal congestion and a slightly sore throat. All the mucus is crystal clear now when I sneeze, yet when I do still cough I am now getting a sweet taste in the back of my mouth. What could that be??

Symptoms:  Sneezing, coughing, sore throat, severe chest and sinus congestion,ear aches, fatigue
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Even though your mucus is clear, you may still have developed a upper respiratory tract and sinus infection. It is possible that this could be caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Allergies would not present with sore throat and ear aches in most cases. We recommend that you have your doctor perform a thorough examination along with taking a swabbing sample of your throat in order to determine the causative pathogen of your symptoms. You may need to be prescribed a course of antibiotics to treat this infection. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com